Year 2: Yellow Class
Welcome to Year 2: Yellow Class!
Your Class Teacher is Sharika. Other people who work in the class are Kinga and Jane.
Jane will be covering Sharika on a Tuesday morning or afternoon throughout the year.
We have PE on Monday and Thursday - don’t forget your kit!
This year our topics are:
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Term 4||Term 5||Term 6|
|Towers, tunnels and turrets||Muck, mess and mixtures||Land ahoy!||Wriggle and crawl||Beachcombers||The scented garden|
Key Objectives for English and Maths are:
- To form neat joined up writing.
- Use capital letters and punctuate sentences correctly using: , ! ? or .
- Use a range of conjunctions to join ideas in a sentence.
- Use an apostrophe to show missing letters in contractions.
- Edit and improve own writing using the success criteria.
- Use adjectives and adverbs to add detail to writing to interest the reader.
- Write a variety of sentence types including: statements, questions, commands and exclamations.
- Write coherent stories, recounts, poetry, diaries, letters and information texts.
- Read with confidence, accuracy, fluency and expression.
- Make inferences based on what has been read
- Read and spell Year 2 common exception words.
- Use phonetic knowledge to read and spell longer words.
- Recognise place value of digits in 3 digit numbers.
- Recall addition and subtraction facts to 20.
- Recall the 2, 5 and 10 times table.
- Count in steps of 2, 3, 5 from 0 and 10 from any number.
- Solve addition and subtraction word problems.
- Solve multiplication problems using images and resources.
- Find fractions of shapes, objects and numbers.
- Recognise values of coins and solve money problems.
- Identify and describe common 2D and 3D shapes.
- Tell the time to five minute intervals.
- Use the inverse operation to check answers are correct.
- Know that multiplication is commutative and division is not.
It is going to be an exciting year in Yellow Class! We plan to:
- Perform in front of the whole school
- Make something to take home
- Compete in a sport
- Raise money for charity
- Cook or bake something to eat
- Dress up
- Have our work displayed
- Recite a poem
- Grow a plant
- Read with a child in another class
- Develop our character through the 9 Habits
- Learn how to save money
- Sing lots of songs
- Help each other to be our best
- Learn how to be safe
- Learn words in another language
- Visit a place of worship
- Travel on a bus, train, tube or boat
- Perform on a world class stage
- Play in a team
- Have a classroom job or responsibility
- Visit an aft gallery or museum
- Visit the Oasis Farm
- Conduct an experiment
- Share our interests and read to the whole class
- Draw, paint and sculpt
- Read lots of books
- Write a poem
- Learn about different faiths
- Use a range of technology
- Learn how to play an instrument
- Make a costume
- Take part in a carnival
- Learn to scoot safely
- Learn to sew
- Visit London landmarks
- Trip to London Zoo
- Mini Beasts
- Class Assembly
- Morden Mosque
- Science: Living Things and Their Habitats
- PE: Hockey
- Developments in Sewing
- Clipper to Greenwich
- Trip to Pizza Express
- Muck, Mess and Mixtures
- Money Day
- Maths: Measuring
- Computer Science
- Black History Week
- Tower of London
25.04.19: Year 2 had a great time exploring different religions during our RE topic about sacred spaces, worship and pilgrimages.
We visited the Baitul Futuh Mosque and the children asked a lot of relevant questions. They were also able to share what they had already learnt.
The children were amazed to see the Quran in many different sizes and languages. Some were so small that they could fit into your pocket!
March 2019: This term in science the children have been learning about classifying things as living, dead and non-living. They have also explored different habitats and learnt how living things are dependent on one another to survive through creating food chains. The children worked in table groups to create collages. As a group they decided on the role each person would take on and worked collaboratively to produce their work.
Year 2 had a fantastic time exploring The Tower of London. They were most excited to see the armour and weapons used in the past. They were able to name the features of the tower and even got to see the crown jewels!
Year 2 also had the opportunity to train to be knights by shooting arrows, assembling firearms and brandishing a sword in the exciting, hands-on experience in the White Tower.